Re: makeinfo and end-of-line format

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: makeinfo and end-of-line format
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 22:46:46 GMT

    eliz> I think I'd like Patrice's opinion on this because making this
    change in open_out means not only Info files, but every file will be
    opened in Unix mode.  Should we make the change only for Info (in
    Info.pm) instead?

I am not Patrice, but in the interests of not holding up the release
forever on this point ... did makeinfo 4, or makeinfo 5, generate CRLF
or LF for the html/xml/plain text output when run on Windows?
Presumably the safest thing would be to do what was done in the past.

On the other hand, Eli, you surely know more about Windows than
any of us.  Do you think Windows tools and programs would care if the
other files are CRLF or LF?  I tend to doubt it myself, but what do I know.

For myself, I'm happy to output everything with LF.

    Also, what about any temporary files that texi2any produces:
    could this interfere with them somehow?

I can't think of any temp files off the top of my head, or easily find
such with grep.  Anyway, if all the hundreds of tests pass with the
change, I think it's safe enough to proceed.

karl