Re: html dir links, table summary

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: html dir links, table summary
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 22:30:43 +0100

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 06:16:00PM +0000, Gavin Smith wrote:

> I just tried generating HTML output with the current development
> version of makeinfo and didn't get a "Prev" link on the Top file
> (index.html), only an "Up" link. Maybe something has changed in the
> sources since the last release, or maybe there is something different
> about the file you were using.

That was also my recalling.  Normally there should only be an up link to
the (dir) node generated in the Top node.  And it seems to me that it is
not new.

> However, I noticed another problem: according to the Texinfo manual,
> "HTML Customization Variables" node:
>
> 'TOP_NODE_UP_URL'
>      For HTML.  The url used for the Up pointer of the Top node; default
>      'undef', meaning no link is generated.
>
> This implies by default, there shouldn't be an Up pointer either.

Indeed, this is rather unclear.  In fact, if TOP_NODE_UP_URL is not set,
there is a link to the (dir) node, because of TOP_NODE_UP, and the link
to the (dir) node is transformed to an url according to the 'HTML Cross
References' specification.

--
Pat