makeinfo test suite

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: makeinfo test suite
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 22:23:54 +0000

I regenerated the tests yesterday for makeinfo. Here are some notes.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the tests in "tp/t" and
"tp/tests". Are these two completely different test suites? But
"tp/tests/README" says that it uses init files from ../t/init.

How to check the tests. It would be bad to regenerate the tests (i.e.
copying the actual results to the reference results) if the actual
results were wrong. I am adding some more to the README files about
how to check the results.

There were some tests in t that were different to regenerate. For
example, in  t/results/indices/encoding_index_ascii, I did

cp out_html/index.html res_html/index.html

to regenerate. Is there an approved way to do this? This is also
confusing because the directory organization in
t/results/indices/encoding_index_ascii looks like some of the
directories in the other test suite, under "tests", again making me
wonder what the relationship is between these two dirs.

I haven't attempted to run the TeX4ht or LaTeX2HTML tests yet.