Re: indents and noindents and environments

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: indents and noindents and environments
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 16:31:55 +0100

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 11:39:43PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:

> The only reason I think @indent inside environments should be dealt with
> in Info is to match the TeX output, for consistency.  Obviously it's not
> an urgent matter.  I can just be silent about it in the documentation.

Right now, @indent effect seems to be explicitly done only in the top
level context, as there is an explicit condition on

  $self->{'format_context'}->[-1]->{'cmdname'} eq '_top_format'

which uses a pseudo-command.  It could be a bit more complicated than
just removing the condition, as I don't think that we want to indent
normally in @multitable, not @*table, nor in @itemize, @enumerate...

>     Reading through the Texinfo manual I'm not sure what the difference is
>     between @format and @flushleft,
>
> None, as far as I know.  (Definitely none in texinfo.tex.)
> Historical madness.

There are definitively differences in Info and HTML, in @format the
spaces and end of lines are kept as is and shown as is in the output,
while in flushleft, in info, end of lines are kept and in HTML it is in
a regular paragraph except that it has align="left".

I haven't looked at DocBook, but I guess there are differences there
too.

--
Pat