Running make in top directory gives a large svn diff

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Running make in top directory gives a large svn diff
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 16:29:38 +0100

Hello all,

Sometimes when I have accidentally run make in the top directory, when
I run "svn diff" to see my local changes, there are a whole load of
changes I didn't make (mostly *.po" files it seems). I then have to
find these changes and get them back to what they should be in the
most recent version to avoid messing them up when I commit. Does
anyone know why this is happening or how to avoid it? Is this
something to do with gettext?

Excerpt from "svn status" after running make:

M       po/pl.po
M       po/pt_BR.po
M       po/ro.po
M       po/ru.po