Re: INFO_SPECIAL_CHARS_WARNING doc

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: INFO_SPECIAL_CHARS_WARNING doc
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 20:30:55 +0200

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 04:52:57PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Patrice,
>
> Here's (the important part of) what I just committed for the
> documentation of INFO_SPECIAL_CHARS_WARNING.  Please take a look.
> Essentially the same paragraph for the three cases and the entry in the
> reference listing.

Looks good to me.

> We decided not to warn about index entries because people can easily
> just go to the node by hand, right?  I couldn't figure out why cross
> refs were different, that they needed the warning; do they?

In fact I didn't really think about it.

If the problem lies with the node name, then it is arguably very similar
to the cross-ref node issues. it is possible that it has already been
warned in the menu part, but if not the warning will be duplicated for
each index entry in the node and each cross-ref to that node.  So, if
the issue is in the node name, it is not really problematic to warn, but
not that problematic not to warn either.

There are some arguments in favor of warning for cross-refs and not for
index entries if the issue is with the name part of the cross-ref,
however.  If the issue is with the cross-ref name or section name, it is
something entered especially by the user, and if the section name
contains problematic characters, the second argument (cross-ref name)
may be used instead.

If the issue is in the index entry part, it is very different, however,
as it was not something entered especially by the user for a reference
name, it is more like an 'implementation detail' of how indices are
formatted in Info.

I can remove the warning for cross-refs, though.

--
Pat