-x repetition, initialization

From: Karl Berry
Subject: -x repetition, initialization
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 23:59:29 GMT

Hi Sergey,

> Each subsequent occurrence of [-x] increases the debugging output verbosity.

I dislike this kind of formulation, because it makes it impossible for
users to know how to get "everything".  It looks like the maximum number
of -x's currently used is two, right?  So I'd rather just say that that
(or something) is the max.

Alternatively, I rather suspect that anyone who cares enough to get
debugging info at all would want to get everything.  So unless the
multiple levels is useful for you yourself, I'd be even more inclined to
just have it be a toggle.

> Unless the window system is initialized, debugging output goes to the
> standard error.  When it is initialized, it is diverted to the file
> @file{infodebug} in the current working directory.

I'm afraid I don't understand the idea here.  I mean, I can see that
info_windows_initialized_p is being set in initialize_info_session,
which is then used in vinfo_debug, but this bears no relationship to
what is usually meant by "window system".  Info doesn't do anything with
X11.  I also doubt that sending some debugging output to stderr and
then, later in the run, sending other output to a fixed file, is what
users would expect.  Not what I would expect, anyway :).  That just
creates two places to look.

How about sending all debug stuff to stderr, unless the envvar
INFO_DEBUGFILE is set, in which case it is taken as the (exact/full)
file name to open?  (It could also be an option, but cluttering up the
--help with such a seldom-used option seems like overkill to me.)

Wdyt?

Thanks,
Karl