Re: proposals of change for INTRODUCTION and Overview of Texinfo

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: proposals of change for INTRODUCTION and Overview of Texinfo
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 22:31:33 +0200

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 10:40:13PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:

> Using only @{} -- this doesn't seem as important to me, being
> syntactical.  It's also not completely true, as we know to our sorrow,
> since backslashes, commas, colons, hash signs, etc., can all be special
> in some contexts.

Ok.  My idea was to convey the difference with Docbook, at least what is
in my opinion superior to Docbook, the rather simple syntax.  I mean, I
think that Docbook is somehow better at being semantic markup, but I
dislike a lot how markup gets in the way in Docbook (and even in HTML!).

>     I also think that the '1.4 Info Files' is too long and should be more
>     oriented towards Texinfo than towards Info for the first half.
>
> Good idea.  I split it apart and did some (re)writing.  See what you
> think.

Very good.

>     I think that the 1.1 'Reporting Bugs' should better at the end of
>     'Overview of Texinfo',
>
> Here I disagree, though admittedly it's a matter of taste.  I put
> Reporting Bugs at the beginning because there can be bugs in the first
> chapter just like any other, so it seems pretty much the first bit of
> information to give to me.

It makes sense.  As most of the text is about output format bug, I
thought that it could be later, but indeed, your argument is sound.

--
Pat