Re: httex test fail info

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: httex test fail info
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 10:23:51 -0700

    cd texinfo/tp/tests/formatting
    cd out_parser/tex_complex_httex
    httex tex_complex_tex4ht_tex.tex

Thanks.  The error message is this:

  System call: convert -trim +repage -density 110x110 -transparent '#FFFFFF'
zztex_complex_tex4ht_tex.ps tex_complex_tex4ht_tex2x.png
  Error: /undefinedfilename in (110x110)
  Operand stack:

  Execution stack:

It seems that there is a mismatch between what convert is passing and
what gs is expecting.  Hence the failure, hence the .ps sticks around.

Whether the problem is with my particular tex4ht, my particular convert,
or my particular gs, I do not know.  `convert -debug all' (just
guessing) did not output anything obviously useful.

In any event, it does not seem right to me to be testing the
tex4ht+convert+gs setup as part of Texinfo.  These things are notably
fragile and have nothing to do with Texinfo proper.  (This is more or
less why I do not include any tests for texi2dvi -- the problems
discovered are in people's TeX installations, rather than in texi2dvi.)
And some people use/need Texinfo without TeX at all, let alone tex4ht.

So how about making any tex4ht-related tests not be run by default?
make check-4ht or something?

Thanks,