Re: texi2html in texinfo manual

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: texi2html in texinfo manual
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 22:13:47 +0100

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:38:55AM -0800, Karl Berry wrote:
> Patrice, I wrote a short section on texi2html in the manual.
> Please take a look and make suggestions :).

I had a look at the diff and it is correct.  I am not completly sure
about texi2html being an ancestor of texi2any, I only took bits, most
is rewritten, but it is not that important either.

>     http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1000
>
> How convenient that it is numbered 1000 :).  I'm very glad you've
> already talked to them about it.  I'm not entirely sure from there where
> things stand from when it leaves off in October.  Is it possible to
> implement everything they need now?

Not for now.  One thing they need is the possibility to add new commands
that are not in Texinfo language but are processed by texi2any.  This
should be fairly simple to do now that there are a few classes for
commands, the only thing to do is to render their definition more
dynamic.  But that's something I would prefer not to do before the
release.

The second thing is redefinition of strings to be translated.  It is not
really possible to do that, if I am not missing something in gettext
stuff in libintl-perl.  However, you may remember an exchange with the
libintl-perl maintainer, Guido, and he said that he'll work on a lower-level
API for mo/po files which should certainly help for a more fine grained
handling of translations and making easier customization of gdt() strings.

Then there is the split at unnumbered stuff that I didn't understood
that well, but should already be doable.  The remaining is certainly also
doable but a fair amount of work.  I'd like to take care of that while
cleaning the HTML API, after the release.

> I don't understand their xref?node?translation? mapping thing at all ...

Me neither...

--
Pat