Re: [SPAM] Re: texinfo 5.00 -> 5.0 -> 4.13.90 html output

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: texinfo 5.00 -> 5.0 -> 4.13.90 html output
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 00:59:18 +0100

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 03:16:08PM -0800, Karl Berry wrote:
>     In the case of .pl
>
> Thanks for doing that.  Now I have another idea/request -- how about a
> command line option, or configuration variable, that overrides all the
> .pl-specific behavior, say --dev-source.
>
> The reason is that we really shouldn't have any behavior which is
> controlled solely by the value of $0.  (The GNU standards go even
> farther than that, but I don't. :)

I think that this situation is not really coverd by the GNU standards, as
unconfigured in-source versus configured interpreted command do not seems
to be in the scope of the GNU standards.

> Right now, if someone wanted to get the development behavior (source
> tree library searching, configure.ac version finding), they have to name
> their executable ending with .pl.  With such an option, they could say
> alias foobar="foobar --dev-source"
> or whatever, without any .pl.

That seems a good idea to me, although I think a customization variable
such as DEV_SOURCE would seem enough for me.

However this is not really possible as the .pl allows to find libintl-perl
which is used for the translation of error messages needed when processing
the command line.  Other stuff done differently with .pl could be postponed
after the command-line handling, but not finding libintl-perl.

> P.S. As you saw, I changed the "default default" to 0.00-hardcoded so I
> don't feel compelled to keep it synchronized :).

Good move ;-).

--
Pat