Re: when images are not found

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: when images are not found
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:44:59 +0100

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 04:22:20PM -0800, Karl Berry wrote:
> (Switching to texinfo-devel for useless posterity.  Topic is what
> happens when an image file cannot be found by makeinfo.)
>
>     [for docbook] basefile.jpg is used if nothing is found.
>     For HTML basefile.jpg is also used.
>     and there is no warning if no file is found.

> In C makeinfo, there was a warning with HTML output.  There was no
> warning with Docbook output, which was simply an oversight.

In texi2any there is a warning in HTML, but not in Docbook, all that
being set up to reproduce exactly what makeinfo in C does.

> So, I think Perl makeinfo should give a warning if it can't find the
> image, and then yes, default to .jpg (that's what C makeinfo does).

Ok.

> Now, if we wanted to really support building manuals without access to
> their images (the only reason for not giving a warning that I can see),
> we could do that; it would imply a lot more work.  But no one is asking
> for that, so I don't see any reason to go further.
>
>     In Info the alt is used if no file.txt is found, and, if there is no
>     alt the bsefile itself is used as text without any extention.
>
> Ok.  I see that's what C makeinfo does.  I think it should give a
> warning if there is no .txt and no alt string.  (C makeinfo gives a
> warning even if there is alt text, but that seems unnecessarily strict
> to me now.)

Ok.  Right now it is the same as C makeinfo, a warning if there is no
.txt, but the alt text is used in contrast with makeinfo in C which
used the alt text only in combination with an image.

Ok for all the changes you propose.

--
Pat