Re: @-command for # in verbatim protection

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: @-command for # in verbatim protection
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:21:10 -0800

    In the pod it is meant to be verbatim, however,

I know.

    since there is no environment like @example and the like, I can use
    @format instead

As you later noted, there is no non-indenting @example :(.
We could add one, but let's not.

    Still @verbatim would have been more natural, and
    more practical given all the {} in perl.

I agree @verbatim is more natural.

    You mean to the end of the previous line?  It will eat the end of line.

Oh yeah.

    as @include files have to be followed too, that does not seem that
    problematic.

Oh yeah.

So, in that case, how about if we say that #line is not recognized
as such inside @verbatim?  After all, one would never want that in
practice, since there's no way to mess with lines or files inside
@verbatim, by definition.

(In principle it still seems to me that it should be possible to
manipulate the text to avoid the #line recognition, since you have
complete control over what is generated, but never mind.)

    All that make me think that having CPP_LINE_DIRECTIVES set in the default
    case is a bad idea, it should be set explicitly in my opinion.

I still think it is best for CPP_LINE_DIRECTIVES to be set by default.
To reiterate my reasoning: the only manual which would ever have a
problem are those which need to document a #line directive of their own.
That is a minuscule number.  Whereas any document at all might like to
preprocess with macros.

By the way, where in the Perl manuals is this the problematic #line
example?  I'm not seeing it.

Also, can you send me the actual Texinfo you are creating now for perl?
I'd like to see it, and/or use it :).

Thanks,
karl