--pdf -E line.mac not created?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: --pdf -E line.mac not created?
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 16:32:53 -0800

Patrice,

Running
  makeinfo --pdf -E line.mac line.tex
does not create line.mac.  (With --html, etc., it is created.)

I realize that without the -E texi2any doesn't need to do any
processing at all, but just call texi2pdf, as we discussed.  And I can't
exactly see any use for line.mac in this case -- if someone wants to run
TeX on the makeinfo-expanded output, it has to take two steps anyway, as in:
  makeinfo -E line.mac line.tex
  makeinfo --pdf line.mac

On the other hand, it seems a strange outcome.

I guess I could document that the filename arg to makeinfo -E is ignored
in the case of dvi|pdf, and we could see if anyone comes up with a
reason to implement it.

Wdyt?

Thanks,
karl