Re: next in menu also below, error message?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: next in menu also below, error message?
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 22:48:01 GMT

    It should certainly be consistent, either only @subsection or only
@subheading.

Yep.  I will fix in due course.  (I'm going to be offline again the next
two days, back Wednesday.)

    Should we accept the warning as a correct wanrning and mandate a @top in
    that case?

I think yes, since we are in the automatic node pointer case.

    The error is
    d.texi:9: warning: Node `Top' is up for `Second' in menu but not in
sectioning

Same thing, seems to me.  They should use @top if they want to use
automatic pointers.  I seem to recall that is even documented.

     @node Useful Highlighting, code, Indicating, Indicating
     @subheading Highlighting Commands are Useful

Chassell had this unusual organization of texinfo.txi (of a (sub)heading
as the first element instead of a (sub)section) before there were
automatic node pointers.  He had his reasons, but IMHO they weren't
enough to overcome the benefit of automatic node pointers.  So I
eliminated them (AFAIK).  A warning is right, in the automatic node
pointer case.

    If there are nodes associated to parts, it is also easy to get

Why would anyone do that?  In fact, the documentation says you shouldn't
(below for convenience).  That's not how parts in books are used.

So I think it should be a warning to even attempt to associate a node
with a part.  Unless we're going to rethink how parts work.

Thanks,
karl

@node part
@section @code{@@part}: Groups of Chapters
@findex part
@cindex Part pages

The final sectioning command is @code{@@part}, to mark a @dfn{part} of
a manual, that is, a group of chapters or (more unusually) appendices.
This behaves quite differently from the other sectioning commands, to
fit with the way such parts are conventionally used in books.

No @code{@@node} command is associated with @code{@@part}.  Just write
the command on a line by itself, including the part title, at the
place in the document you want to mark off as starting that part.  For
example:

@example
@@part Part I:@* The beginning
@end example

As can be inferred from this example, no automatic numbering or
labeling of the @code{@@part} text is done.  The text is taken as-is.

Because parts are not associated with nodes, no general text can
follow the @code{@@part} line.  To produce the intended output, must
be followed by a chapter-level command (including its node).  Thus, to
continue the example:

@example
@@part Part I:@* The beginning

@@node Introduction
@@chapter Introduction
..
@end example

In the @TeX{} output, the @code{@@part} text is included in both the
normal and short tables of contents (@pxref{Contents}), without a page
number (since that is the normal convention).  In addition, a ``part
page'' is output in the body of the document, with just the
@code{@@part} text.  In the example above, the @code{@@*} causes a
line break on the part page (but is replaced with a space in the
tables of contents).  This part page is always forced to be on an odd
(right-hand) page, regardless of the chapter pagination
(@pxref{setchapternewpage,, @code{@@setchapternewpage}}).

In the HTML output, the @code{@@part} text is similarly included in
the tables of contents, and a heading is included in the main document
text, as part of the following chapter or appendix node.

In the XML and Docbook output, the @code{<part>} element includes all
the following chapters, up to the next @code{<part>}.  A @code{<part>}
containing chapters is also closed at an appendix.

In the Info and ASCII output, @code{@@part} has no effect.

@code{@@part} is ignored when raising or lowering sections (see next
section).  That is, it is never lowered and nothing can be raised to it.