Re: 12 questions for FIXMEs

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: 12 questions for FIXMEs
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 00:12:55 GMT

    1. For --internal-links output, it is possible to output only if there are
    links, or always, maybe creating an empty file.  (Right now it is only
    output if there is something to output).

    Which one is better?

I think it's better to always create it, possibly empty.
Otherwise there is a risk of leaving stale information around.
I believe that is also what C makeinfo does.

    2. Should there be a warning when an obsolete customization variable is
    accessed, or set? (like 'TOP_HEADING_AT_BEGINNING', 'USE_NLS'...).

At the present moment, I would say yes.

    3. For raw commands, like @verbatim, @macro body, @ignore, @html...
    right now the regexp to find them is

     /^(.*?)address@hidden([a-zA-Z][\w-]*)/

    Should it be stricter, like
       begin only at line beginning?

Yes, match @end only at ^.  I just tried
@example
foo
 @end example
with texinfo.tex, and got two lines of output (the second one blank).

       only one space after @end?

No, it's ok to have multiple spaces after @end.

    4. Should something that remains after an @end ifhtml and similar
    command on the like be ignored?  Or should there be an error
    message?  I think that a @comment is valid, so not doing anything
    and keeping what is on the line as is now and putting a comment in
    the code may be enough.

Right, @c (and whitespace) is ok there.  Anything else is not ok.  Both
texinfo.tex and C makeinfo give errors, e.g., with the input
@end example foo
C makeinfo reports:
endspace.tex:15: Superfluous argument to @end example: foo

    5. There is a new error message if the highest sectioning element before
    a @part is not at the chapter level, could you please check it:
      "No chapter-level command before address@hidden"

Looks fine to me.

    6. Should 'Prev', 'Next', 'Up' appearing in the error message
     "%s reference to nonexistent `%s'"
    (first %s, second is a node name) be translated?

I'd say no, since we don't translate them in other contexts, being the
special Info keywords, seems better to keep them untranslated for
better(?) comprehension.  (Also, C makeinfo did not translate them, I
believe.)

    8. In most cases, @error{} leads to error-> or similar output.  Should the
    error word be translated?

(That "error" word is so dumb.)  Yes, thinking about it now, I think it
should be translated, although neither C makeinfo nor texinfo.tex do so
now.  I'll change texinfo.tex.

    9. Right now @inforef is formatted in DocBook as in Info.  (like
    *note (file)node::).  It seems wrong to me.  How should it be formatted?

How about doing what is done in TeX:
 Input: @inforef{mynode,,myfile}
Output: See Info file @file{myfile}, node @{mynode}

More answers later, out of time for today.