Re: next in menu also below, error message?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: next in menu also below, error message?
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 22:25:16 GMT

    section is prev for subsection and section is also up of subsection.
    Should there be a warning?

Here I think yes, because explicit pointers are not given.  C makeinfo
goes so far as to give an error (or three), although a warning would
have been fine.

    if someone wants to have specific directions, he should not rely on
    automatic directions.

Right, and it's for exactly that reason that I think there should be a
warning.  When we are determining the pointers, by definition the manual
is supposed to be "normally" structured, and deviations from that should
assumed to be mistakes by the user, and hence we should give warnings to
help him/her.

Whereas if explicit pointers are given, then no warning -- it's not our
place to override the user's explicit choices.

Sound ok?