taler

Re: [Taler] Mutual credit on GNU Taler

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Mutual credit on GNU Taler
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 22:44:34 +0100

On 3/19/24 18:36, b@utermann.ch wrote:
Hi Christian,
Thank you for the quick answer. I'll give a try at the regional currency setup. Do you know of regional currencies using this currently? If not, what are the blockers?

https://netzbon.ch/ is in testing. Another group from Bern is blocked by having babies and no time to work on it ;-). The other blockers are bugs, see https://bugs.taler.net/ ;-).

Another question I have: is it possible to have exchange-to-exchange transactions?

Not yet, see bug #7271.

What I'm specifically looking (cf. Credit Commons protocol) is for users in different mutual credit networks to trade together (a network would be a special account on an exchange, and the exchanges would relay the transactions to the users, if that makes sense). It would be a kind of federation of exchanges (mesh), but it could also be organized in trees, making global transactions possible, even if 2 users are many exchanges away. I have too little knowledge about GNU Taler right now to understand if this is something that could be done with Taler or if that's too much of an edge case to bother.

Aside from exchange-to-exchange transfers, it might be better to have some kind of trading service, where you can sell one currency and buy another. That's *not* what #7271 is about. Here, the main issue is actually that you'll need some kind of market making logic and find a way to provide liquidity, which I suspect is the biggest (and completely non-technical) issue with mutual credit networks.

Happy hacking!

Christian

Many thanks!

Billy