taler

Re: [Taler] Android Taler Wallet bug

From: Marc Stibane
Subject: Re: [Taler] Android Taler Wallet bug
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 21:42:33 +0100

> On 2024-01-09, at 21:28:57, Jonathan Krebs <jonathan.krebs@bruckbu.de> wrote:
> On 09.01.24 21:16, Marc Stibane via Taler wrote:
>>> On 2024-01-09, at 20:57:20, Slack Coder <slackcoder@server.ky> wrote:
>>>
>>> When the same fulfillment URL is used for a second order, it results in an
>>> "You've already paid for this purchase" error.  This feels unexpected
>>> because its an entirely different order.
>> 1) May a fulfillment URI be reused?
> No:
> https://docs.taler.net/taler-merchant-api-tutorial.html#repurchase-detection-and-fulfillment-urls
>
> > To ensure this mechanism works as designed, merchants must make sure to not
> > use the same fulfillment URL for different products or for physical
> > products where customers may be expected to buy the article repeatedly.
> > Similarly, it is crucial that merchants consistently use the same
> > fulfillment URL for the same digital product where repurchase detection is
> > desired.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. You can only use the same fulfillment URL for
a virtual good (such as a book chapter on the Taler demo shop), where the
customer should get access a second time instead of paying again.

> You can use the token $ORDER_ID in the fulillement url when creating the
> order, it gets replaced by the merchant backend with the actual order id, to
> create a unique url.

However the Wallet app/webex shouldn’t show an "error" - but rather a hint to
the user that they should be able to get access to the product without paying
again.

Thus this is no "Android Taler Wallet bug”, but a general wallet UI/UX issue,
which should be tracked in Mantis (with low priority).

Marc