taler

Re: [Taler] Taler wallet charge terminal

From: Sebastian Javier Marchano
Subject: Re: [Taler] Taler wallet charge terminal
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 10:30:17 -0300

Hi Florian

On Fri, 22 Sept 2023 at 08:41, Florian Jung via Taler <taler@gnu.org> wrote:
Hi,

I want to build a wallet recharge terminal, i.e. a machine that eats
real money banknotes and gives you Taler; for this project, I have a
couple of questions:

Does previous work on this exist already? I know about the Taler snack
vending machine, but IIUC, this is the opposite direction (eats taler,
gives food). How are people charging their wallet in this setup?

I did some work using a bv20 bill acceptor and a mdb to usb converter.
The a process reading the USB input to trigger a reward protocol https://docs.taler.net/core/api-merchant.html#backend-giving-rewards (AKA tips)

What bank- or nonbank/nexus setup would be appropriate for such a
terminal? Does it make sense to use a libeufin demobank setup where, for
every real euro fed into the machine, the "central bank" wires a
currency unit to the exchange's demobank account? Or would it be more
appropriate to have a "banknote acceptor backend" for the nexus, and
skip the demobank completely?

Well, that will depend on the scenario. In my case I replacing the coins in the arcade shop.
Usually merchant gives you special coins to use in the machines and accept cash.
With the setup you put cash in the cash acceptor and give you Taler coins to start a game.

Here, the exchange and the bank are not aware of the setup. Is a merchant thing.