taler

Re: [Taler] Taler wallet charge terminal

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Taler wallet charge terminal
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:28:01 +0200

On 9/22/23 13:40, Florian Jung via Taler wrote:
Hi,

I want to build a wallet recharge terminal, i.e. a machine that eats real money banknotes and gives you Taler; for this project, I have a couple of questions:

Does previous work on this exist already?

Yes, there is starting code in the taler-mdb.git and Andreas (in CC) is presumably working right now (TM) to hook this up to a coin acceptor. Also, Sebastian had done some first prototype with a cash acceptor.

I know about the Taler snack vending machine, but IIUC, this is the opposite direction (eats taler, gives food). How are people charging their wallet in this setup?

Cashier app + physical cash to real people.

What bank- or nonbank/nexus setup would be appropriate for such a terminal?

We're actually planning on using the grant (previously: tip) API from the merchant backend. Basically, provision a reserve with the maximum amount the cash acceptor is allowed to hand out (until you empty it...) and grant from the reserve whenever a user puts in coins.

Does it make sense to use a libeufin demobank setup where, for every real euro fed into the machine, the "central bank" wires a currency unit to the exchange's demobank account? Or would it be more appropriate to have a "banknote acceptor backend" for the nexus, and skip the demobank completely?

We plan to not interact directly with the bank/nexus at all for this.

I'm gonna run this with a local currency, but am looking forward to Taler being offered by a real bank someday; in such a future, I would my merchants (all under my control) to support payments both in local currency *and* in euro-taler. I've seen that the contracts v1 protocol supports "alternative contracts".

Right, that's under preparation. I also already updated the merchant backend to become more multi-currency capable. Once this is done, you should be able to accept different currencies from the same merchant backend. Alas, work-in-progress.

Do I correctly assume that this would allow for "pay in euro only" and "pay in local currency only", but not (easily) allow the user to freely choose the ratio between EUR and LC (i.e. pay 81% by LC but the remaining 19% with euro)? (Though I could offer them a lot of such alternatives, so they could at least choose in steps of 10cent or something)

The idea is that the merchant frontend would basically specify to pay *either* 5 EUR *or* 6 CHF *or* 5 CHF plus 20%-off discount coupon. So the backend will *not* have a currency conversion ratio, the 'current' ratio is for the merchant frontend to know/decide upon.

Also, what is the current state of NFC support in taler? Can I already use NFC for buying and charging my wallet? What specs would a NFC reader need to fulfil for that?

The current (Android) wallet already supports NFC. If your phone can read NFC tags, it should work. On the machine side, you don't need an NFC reader, but instead a device that can send NFC tags to the phone.

Happy hacking!

Christian