taler

Re: [Taler] How to trust an auditor?

From: Sebastian Javier Marchano
Subject: Re: [Taler] How to trust an auditor?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 22:37:25 -0300

> I plan (for learning purposes) to create a setup with two different exchanges; payer and payee would have their accounts at different exchanges then.

I will assume that payer and payee are users with a wallet. Wallets don't have accounts at exchanges, rather they have coins signed from exchanges. So the correct term will be "payer and payee have coins withdrawn from different exchanges".

> Does this currently work already?

Yes, two exchanges with different bank accounts.

> How is trust established here?

Wallet will trust different exchanges, no big deal here. You may also have the two wallets have coins from both exchanges.

> Does the payee need to trust the payer's exchange, or do only the exchanges need to trust each other (e.g. by configuration)?

Let's say that wallet A withdraws coins from exchange X.
and wallet B withdraws coins from exchange Y.
You want to send the coins from wallet A to wallet B.
Wallet A will instruct the exchange (it just have coins from exchange X) to create a reserve and then will send the instruction (as a QR code or taler:// URI) to wallet B
This coins then will be withdrawn from exchange X so wallet B will need to accept terms of service of exchange X (and trust that exchange).

The operation is called pay-push (peer-to-peer transfer) [1]
Also exchange-to-exchange may be possible in the future, but currently in our roadmap and not yet implemented.

[1] https://docs.taler.net/design-documents/013-peer-to-peer-payments.html

--
Sebastian