sysvinit-devel

Re: Errors in sysvinit man pages

From: Helge Kreutzmann
Subject: Re: Errors in sysvinit man pages
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 08:51:59 +0100

Hello Jesse Smith,
(usually only first names are used, would this be ok for you?)

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 05:38:59PM -0400, Jesse Smith wrote:
> Thank you for writing and letting me know about these translation
> efforts and the problem reports that have accumulated with regards to
> the sysvinit manual pages.
>
> Before I got any further, I would like to confirm that this mailing list
> is the ideal place to report issues such as this one. I'm happy to field
> questions and bug reports on this list. If any new issues come up in the
> future, please share them here.

Thanks for confirming this.

> With regards to the specific issue reports you shared, I want to make
> sure I understand the syntax of the report. As I understand it, the
> "Issue:" line of each report shows the existing text, followed by an
> arrow and then the suggested text. And, in this case, the B<> syntax
> indicates the text should be highlighted?

I use three lines. The first shows the man page at hand (in this
report only in respect to shutdown.8). The second line ("Issue:")
explains the problem or provides a fix if possible. And then the
paragraph with the text in question (i.e. where the problem was
detected) is shown. Please note that we only see a neutral format, not
the source format you probably use.

And yes, A → B is a shorthand notation that A should be replaced by B.

> For example, "-Q -> B<-Q>" means the -Q flag should be highlighted or
> bolded in the manual page. Is this correct? If I am understanding
> properly, then I will update the manual pages and included these changes
> in the next version of sysvinit.

Yes, correct.

Did you also see the issues I reported on Jul 05? So far I haven't
received a reply on them.

Thanks for updating the man pages.

Greetings

         Helge