sysvinit-devel

Re: [sysvinit-devel] Could not determine runlevel

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: Re: [sysvinit-devel] Could not determine runlevel
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 16:08:49 -0300

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 14:08:49 -0300
Jesse Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong when I try to reboot
> > or shutdown, I get this message:
> >
> > "WARNING: Could not determine runlevel - doing a soft reboot"
> >
> > I am missing something? or how it is that sysvinit determines the
> > runlevel in which is currently?.
> >

> This message is displayed by the "halt" command when it cannot find
> init's runlevel, which is stored in a file. Typically this happens if
> halt cannot read from /var/run/utmp. You might want to check if the
> file exists and is readable by the user trying to halt the system.

That explain why it can't determine the runlevel.  The file exists,
but it is a limitation of the libc, in our case (Dragora -devel), we
are using Musl.  See
https://wiki.musl-libc.org/faq.html#Q:-Why-is-the-utmp/wtmp-functionality-only-implemented-as-stubs?

> Alternatively, you can try using the "shutdown" command in place of
> "halt". Running "shutdown -P -h now" is approximately the equivalent
> of using "halt".

The command used was 'reboot'.

> If those steps don't work, please let us know which version of init
> you are running and any other error messages which are displayed.

It is sysvinit-2.89.