sysvinit-devel

[sysvinit-devel] sysvinit maintenance

From: Ian Jackson
Subject: [sysvinit-devel] sysvinit maintenance
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 13:51:07 +0000

It looks like I'm going to want to do a minor upload to sysvinit in
Debian soon.  Despite now being a member of the team in Debian, I can
do this with an NMU workflow (and hope that someone will later commit
my changes to Debian's vcs for this package, svn on alioth).

However, I would prefer to convert everything to git.  That way Debian
and GNU could share a history.  Is there anyone who would think that a
bad idea ?

Has anyone any experience with svn-to-git conversions ?  I have very
very rarely used svn (having delayed moving away from cvs for most of
my own project long enough that I was able to go straight to git), but
I would be willing to try to take this on if no-one else feels they
are better qualified.  (I am just about to ask to be added to the
savannah upstream group too.)

I notice that the Debian package has a fair few patches in it that
could usefully go upstream.  I haven't reviewed these individually.
Would anyone object to me applying those to the upstream vcs ?

I suggest that, because we don't expect to have to maintain a
significant patchset downstream in Debian, and because the source tree
is small, we should in Debian make sysvinit a `3.0 (native)' format
package and adopt a merging git workflow.

Regards,
Ian.

--
Ian Jackson <address@hidden>   These opinions are my own.