sysvinit-devel

[sysvinit-devel] SIGQUIT + restart action support

From: Xabier M.
Subject: [sysvinit-devel] SIGQUIT + restart action support
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 23:01:04 +0100

Hello everyone,

Before I begin, my apologies if this is not the way to go if I want to make a contribution. I really feel that I should give something back to the developer community after all that I am learning thanks to it.

So I have developed a modification for Sysvinit v2.88dsf that enables it to use a very useful feature available in busybox init.

In embedded systems, it might be interesting to switch from one version of init to another without rebooting the system in order to perform filesystem upgrades. In my case, we are puting a small rootfs with busybox init in tmpfs, and switching to it with pivot_root, chroot and the aforementioned feature, we are able to umount the old filesystem and program a new one.

With this patch, sysvinit acquires a new action: reset . When reset is defined in inittab, upon reception of signal SIGQUIT, init kills al processes running on the system except for itself, and launches the new init binary specified on inittab.

I hope this is helpful to someone. If I'm doing this wrong, directions on where I should look in order to learn how to do this properly would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Reibax.