sysvinit-devel

Re: PAM support? (Was: [sysvinit] Re: ?New sysvinit version 2.89dsf?)

From: Dr. Werner Fink
Subject: Re: PAM support? (Was: [sysvinit] Re: ?New sysvinit version 2.89dsf?)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:26:54 +0100

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:27:23AM +0100, Werner Fink wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 07:37:09PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > Looking at the sysvinit bugs in Debian, I came across
> > sulogin.  This sound like a good idea to me.  Werner, what is your
> > view on this?
>
> Currently I've a few open points for PAM support ...
>
>  Which processes should be enabled to use PAM?
>    IMHO we may skip `+' with their own utmp/wtmp housekeeping
>    Also the support could be used for system initial boot
>    and runlevel changes together with the sulogin respawn entry
>
>  Also I'm missing something like housekeeping of PAM sessions
>  that is if a process has finised what happens to the PAM seesion?
>
>  Then I've to use
>
>        misc_conv()
>
>  from libpam_misc which (hoepfully) isn't used :(
>
>  Then the manual page of pam_setcred() told me that we shall use
>  it *before* pam_open_session() ... which is currently reversed.
>
>  Beside this we require a further file that is
>
>        /etc/pam.d/init
>
>  otherwise the stuff makes no sense.

OK, tested it out and had done some changes.
The file /etc/pam.d/init is required otherwise
the logon is not possible. Now my system is up
and running with new /sbin/init and with
a /etc/pam.d/init:

  #%PAM-1.0
  #
  # The PAM configuration file for /sbin/init
  #
  #
  auth     sufficient     pam_rootok.so
  auth     include        common-auth
  account  include        common-account
  password include        common-password
  session  include        common-session
  session  requisite      pam_lastlog.so noupdate

Werner