sysvinit-devel

Re: [sysvinit] Re: ?New sysvinit version 2.89dsf?

From: Dr. Werner Fink
Subject: Re: [sysvinit] Re: ?New sysvinit version 2.89dsf?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:20:54 +0100

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 01:29:19PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I've tested the svn version in Debian testing, and it booted just
> fine.  Had to apply a patch for Debia lenny.  See other email for the
> patch.
>
> I note that we have some patches in the Debian package not yet pushed
> upstream:
>
> 10_doc_manuals.dpatch

In the inittab of an openSUSE the runlevel S is not correspond identical
to the system initialization.  This because our policy points out that
no disks nor partitions or any other service should be activated by a
cold boot intio single user mode.  It had been very useful in past to do
it that way but introduced a lot of work to make a switch into any
other runlevel work well ;)

> 11_doc_shutdown-c.dpatch
> 21_ifdown_kfreebsd.dpatch
> 46_pidof_symlinkman.dpatch
> 62_init_freebsdterm.dpatch
> 91_sulogin_lockedpw.dpatch

Hmmm ... if root pw is locked down the way out is a boot disk
only.  Why should such a broken system exist or in an other
way why should a sysadmin disable its own maintenance job?
We may speak about a large farm of clients *with* disk with
one of the clients having a disk crash.

> 94_fstab-decode.dpatch
> 96_shutdown_acctoff.dpatch
>
> (Available from
> svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-sysvinit/sysvinit/trunk/debian/patches )
>
> Of these, I suspect 11_doc_shutdown-c.dpatch,
> 46_pidof_symlinkman.dpatch, 94_fstab-decode.dpatch and
> 96_shutdown_acctoff.dpatch might be useful to include in the new
> upstream release.  What is your view on this?

The only problem might be the acctoff patch as our accton
around here behaves the old way.  We may use a cpp define
for this to switch it on or off.

> There are also some freebsd fixes.  I am not sure if we should include
> them upstream or not.  I assume they work, but have no way to test
> them. :)

As long those changes are warped by the appropiate cpp define
all went OK :)

       Werner