summer-of-code

Re: [gnu-soc] [IMPORTANT] GNU GSOC proposals ranking

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: [gnu-soc] [IMPORTANT] GNU GSOC proposals ranking
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 10:19:50 -0600

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Jose E. Marchesi" <jemarch@gnu.org>
To: summer-of-code@gnu.org
Bcc:
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 14:10:40 +0200

This is the global ranking that we currently have for the GNU Project
umbrella organization, in the GSOC system:

1. Porting Rust into GNU/Hurd
   Contributor: Vedant Tewari
   Size: Medium
   Assigned mentors: Samuel Thibault

2. Integration of GNU Anastasis with the GNU Taler Android client
   Contributor: Iván Ábalos
   Size: Large
   Assigned mentors: Christian Grothoff and Florian Dold

3. Parameterized Packages for GNU Guix
   Contributor: Sarthak
   Size: Large
   Assigned mentors: g_bor and pjotrp

4. Fix Beaming Patterns/Beam Subdivisions and Tuples in GNU Lilypond
   Contributor: Jason Yip
   Size: Large
   Assigned mentors: Carl Sorensen

5. Add a web user interface to GNU XaoS
   Contributor: aurekabhishek
   Size: Large
   Assigned mentors: Zoltan Kovacs

6. Add a web user interface to GNU Aris
   Contributor: Sakham Attri
   Size: Medium
   Assigned mentors: Zoltan Kovacs

7. Add compiled byte-codes to GNU poke
   Contributor: etXzat
   Size: Large
   Assigned mentors: Jose E. Marchesi and Mohammad-Reza Nabipoor

8. Bringing GNU Taler to more platforms
   Contributor: Joel D. Schüller
   Size: Medium
   Assigned mentors: Javier Sepulveda

9. Guix: Decentralised Substitute Distribution
   Contributor: Vijaya Anand
   Size: Medium
   Assigned mentors: pukkamustard

10. Support for big numbers in GNU poke
    Contributor: Georgios Liakopoulos
    Size: Large
    Assigned mentors: Jose E. Marchesi and Mohammad-Reza Nabipoor

The criteria I have used to do the global ranking is:

- To follow the local ranking of the different participating projects,
  as indicated by the maintainers.

- To have a first group of proposals (ranked 1 to 7 above) with
  representation of all paticipating programs.  This will increase the
  odds that all programs will be getting slots.

- To then have a second group of proposals (ranked 8 to 10 above) with
  extra projects per participating program.

- Since I am doing the global ranking as the org admin, the two ranked
  proposals for my own program (GNU poke) are at the bottom of these
  blocks (positions 7 and 10.)

Please review the details of the proposals in the system, and get back
to me by replying to the thread if there are mistakes and/or changes to
do.  There is still time to add new mentors or do other fixes.

NOTE1: I will not consider suggestions to increase the ranking position
       of your proposals.  However, I will consider suggestions to
       _decrease_ the ranking position of some particular proposal if
       the suggestion comes from a representative of the corresponding
       program.  So if you think that a proposal X that is ranked below
       your own proposal is more important than your own proposal,
       please speak up now and I will do the necessary adjustments.

NOTE2: We can do changes to the ranking up to tomorrow (27 April) at
       12:00 GMT.  After that, alea iacta est.

This list looks good to me.  Thank you for including LilyPond.

Carl