summer-of-code

Re: [gnu-soc] GNU GSOC 2023 application

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: [gnu-soc] GNU GSOC 2023 application
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 15:39:43 +0100

GNU Mes on RISC-V

GNU Mes is the exciting unique free software bootstrap for Linux (and
other) distributions that can replace existing huge binary blobs that,
for example, boot Debian.  This is a great security concern.  In
contrast, GNU Mes today boots GNU Guix from source from a
transparent ~500 byte stage0.

    Project site: https://www.gnu.org/software/mes/

Port GNU Mes to RISC-V

RISC-V is an exciting new platform and already work has been done to
port GNU Mes to RISC-V. There are many components that need to work to
get to a full bootstrap. To help the effort we are looking for someone
with an interest in gcc internals to complete the RISC-V backporting
of GCC 4.6.4 to include RISC-V C++ support and fix missing
functionality (note that RISC-V did not exist at the time of gcc4 and
it is the first gcc compiler that is reached by Mes for bootstrapping!).

The current RISC-V support for GCC 4.6.4 compiles, but is not tested
for C++. In this project we'll complete the backported GCC 4.6.4 with C++
support, and include the recipe for that in the Guix package provided,
so it's easier to include in the full bootstrapping system later.

    Required skills: C/C++ programming, some assembler.
    Contact: janneke, ekaitz & pjotr, see https://www.gnu.org/software/mes/
    Reference links:
    https://ekaitz.elenq.tech/tag/bootstrapping-gcc-in-risc-v.html