social-discuss

I stopped open registration for gnusocial.jp by DoS attack.

From: SENOO, Ken
Subject: I stopped open registration for gnusocial.jp by DoS attack.
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 23:31:03 +0900

I stopped open registration for gnusocial.jp by DoS attack.

I posted about this in [告知: gnusocial.jpへのDoS攻撃とweb.gnusocial.jpの分散SNS参加 | GNU social JP](https://web.gnusocial.jp/post/2022/12/28/341/).

My server gnusocial.jp is damaged by DoS attack following contents.

- Password reset e-mail bomb.
- A lot of regstration from bot.
- A lot of post by bots.

I am not familiar with security. So I stopped open registration for gnusocial.jp.

gnu social has weak security functions. General registration reception is dangerous if targeted by attackers.

By the way, recently, I posted these articles.

- [告知: gnusocial.jpのGNU socialでの最大一般公開サーバー化 | GNU social JP](https://web.gnusocial.jp/post/2022/12/19/306/) - [Qvitter著者のGNU socialへの復帰 | GNU social JP](https://web.gnusocial.jp/post/2022/12/26/320/)

I started gnusocial.jp on 2022-07. gnusocial.jp became largest open registration GNU social server (surely have many sleeping and spam accounts). Server cost is only 1.5 USD (220 JPY) per month! This is power of GNU social.

gnusocial.jp also is only server for using Qvitter/Pleroma FE on GNU socialv2. And Qvitter author Hannes Mannerheim back on GNU social (<https://gnusocial.jp/hannes>)!

This is my result of activity.

If you are developers, you should use GNU social firstly. Apparently, spookie <https://outerheaven.club/users/spookie> uses mainly Pleroma/Akkoma (not GNU social!). I think if you do not use GNU social, you are not developers.

Diogo, you do not merge, and ignored my PR <https://notabug.org/diogo/gnu-social/pulls/293>. I am very sad and disappointment for you.

In first my article, new GNU social server started (social.076.moe, gnusocial-v2.cyberrex.jp). They are my acquaintance. I think these are my result of activity. And they would have same issue for my PR. If you merge my PR, they had no same problem. I think developers should stand as user firstly.

Why did you ignore me? I think if you have no passion, you have better to step down development leader same as evan prodoromou and matt lee.

I think money is the center pin (top priority) for continuing development. PeerTube also have same money trouble ([報道: PeerTube v5の公開 | GNU social JP](https://web.gnusocial.jp/post/2022/12/15/298/)).

If we have enough money, we can employ by my self. Mastodon=Eugen Rochko succeeded earning money his patreon.

Do you have business/strategy/idea? If you have no them, you cannot continue GNU social. I think donation is not enough. No activity, no life. People assume GNU social as dead if you have no activity.

I started my business on web.gnusocial.jp. I keep updating my site everyday at least 2 months. This year 2022 is starting year. Surely I have no money now. I will start making money on 2023. I have some business ideas.

I appreciated supporting ActivityPub on GSv2 on you. It is OK for ignoring/refusing me.

If my business succeed (success of employing myself), I will start new GNU social site and continuing development GNU social alone, and gathering new developers. If it is success, you cannot catch up with me. I am an associate FSF member (https://www.gnu.org/thankgnus/2022supporters.html) also. I am serious.

Hannes was gave up because western country was not interested in DSNS. Globally, Japan is the most active and important country for decentlized SNS (https://fedidb.org/network, pawoo.net/mstdn.jp are Japan). And I am only Japanese for current GNUsocial relating. If we have success in Japan, we have success in the world.