sks-devel

Re: Reconcile recovered items too high for some of my peers

From: Andrew Gallagher
Subject: Re: Reconcile recovered items too high for some of my peers
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 14:31:18 +0000

On 16/12/2021 14:06, Martin Dobrev wrote:
Two of the peers are SKS, third one is Hockeypuck. And a bit of detail - first
two entries from the graph belong to the same cluster, just having two real IPs
assigned.

There are two possible causes of this, and I suspect both are at work to some extent.

The first, which will mostly affect your SKS peers, is the growing number of oversized keys that are accumulating on the SKS side of the graph and will never reconcile with any modern Hockeypuck (although what counts as "oversized" is a local parameter and so varies a bit).

The second (and more concerning IMO) issue is churn, which appears to affect to varying degrees any peer relationship involving at least one Hockeypuck server. I suspect (but cannot yet prove) that Hockeypuck calculates key hashes (which are NOT fingerprints) inconsistently in some cases, perhaps due to packet reordering. I don't currently understand the code well enough to debug this properly (but perhaps somebody else here does?).

--
Andrew Gallagher