sks-devel

Re: shutdown of pgpkeys.co.uk and pgpkeys.uk

From: Andrew Gallagher
Subject: Re: shutdown of pgpkeys.co.uk and pgpkeys.uk
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 23:07:38 +0100

On 23/06/2021 18:30, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
Well, for people who have been running SKS lately -- Is dealing with
GDPR requests something you have to deal with often on an ongoing
basis? I cannot answer, as I shut down my server about two years ago
(and neither my server nor myself are in Europe).

I have had no GDPR requests (so far). Kristian however has had quite a lot, and this is almost certainly because the sks-keyservers.net domain is more well-known than any of the individual nodes, due to having been configured by default in so many places for so many years.

Personally, I am willing to put my resources into maintaining a
working decentralized keyserver network; of course, I am not
_currently_  running a keyserver (that will probably change within the
next week or two), and it won't do much if I'm the only one doing
so. But, in order to rebuild a network able to withstand the migration
to the 21st century... we must be willing not to kill the network to
begin with!

I agree. We need to be careful though to distinguish between the decentralised peering/sync model and the load-balanced multi-operator pool. The first does not imply or require the second.

--
Andrew Gallagher