sks-devel

Re: shutdown of pgpkeys.co.uk and pgpkeys.uk

From: Gunnar Wolf
Subject: Re: shutdown of pgpkeys.co.uk and pgpkeys.uk
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 00:10:43 -0500

Andreas Puls dijo [Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 09:32:50PM +0200]:
> Hey all,
>
> as far as i know Hagrid doesn't support "peering" like SKS or
> Hockeypuck. Regarding the latter one I'm running 3 Keyserver with it.
> It's working very well and also support key blacklisting and ignores
> huge subkeys. A little downside is only the "heavy" read / write
> consumption compared to sks.
>
> A new domain must be established into the "world". Maybe Kristian would
> transfer the domain / software to one of us. So we could run it on our own.

Hagrid is IMO a no-go: in order to solve the greatest shortcomings of
SKS, it drops one of OpenPGP's greatest features: the Web of
Trust. Yes, for many, the WoT is an anachronistic holdout... But many
among us still believe in it.

I have been pondering to set up a hockeypuck keyserver to get
acquinted with it, as I will be doing some work in the next couple of
years.

(For full disclosure: I recently joined a PhD program, and my study
subject is how to keep the decentralized properties of the WoT network
while at the same time being able to counter the attacks we have seen
on it).