sks-devel

High rate of updated keys

From: Andrew Gallagher
Subject: High rate of updated keys
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 14:07:14 +0100

Hi, all.

I'm noticing recently a large number of updated keys in pgpkeys.eu (hockeypuck), on the order of several thousand per hour. The total number of keys is not increasing unusually, just the modifications. I notice that both andreas-puls servers and utwente.nl seem to be experiencing similar activity (an order of magnitude less, at tens to a few hundred per hour), while other pool members seem unaffected (single digits of updates per hour). Can I ask hockeypuck operators what filter values they are using? pgpkeys.eu is currently set to:

maxPacketLength=65536
maxKeyLength=1048576

This is more generous than the defaults, which makes me wonder if the root problem is that it is allowing abusive keys that others are filtering out.

On a possibly related note, sks.pgpkeys.eu (sks) is timing out repeatedly during incoming bulk requests from its recon peers. It seems to manifest as "End_of_file" errors in the SKS logs as the reverse proxy gives up. Has anyone else seen similar issues?

Thanks,

Andrew Gallagher