sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] new keyserver online

From: C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] new keyserver online
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 07:43:15 -0700

No offense intended.  However, this is actually slightly more than zero indication that the key belongs to you.  The only indication you have given is that you have control over the email address listed in the pubkey.  My friends very often have their email accounts hacked and I receive mail from spammers pretending to be them.  The fact that you refuse to prove that you own the private key is a strong indication that you do not own it.  Generating a signed message is as simple as this:

$ echo "I really do own the key" | gpg --clearsign

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "C.J. Adams-Collier <address@hidden>"
1024-bit DSA key, ID 176BE946, created 2008-03-02 (main key ID BA27A83C)

Tada :)