skribilo-users

Re: [skribilo-users] Customising the ConTeXt engine

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [skribilo-users] Customising the ConTeXt engine
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 16:56:01 +0100

Roger Mason <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> The user can get a context document by providing context customisations
>>> in "context-book.tex" or in some '*.tex' file if they use skribilo's
>>> user-style option.  I made a few other changes too and have been able to
>>> generate compilable context files.
>>
>> OK.  I guess we should integrate this change, or even get rid of the
>> “\input context-*.tex” by default.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> The advantage of having a default is that it can implement commands that
> are then embedded in the context document.  My current version of
> context-book.tex sets up commants for the document title that are then
> called in the context document file itself.

Then maybe we should integrate this context-book.tex as well?  What does
it contain?

I guess I don’t understand why we need a ConTeXt file in the first
place.  The other engines don’t require anything like that (they allow
you to specify additional include files, but they don’t require it.)

>> Isn’t it better left to users?
>
> Some users would probably prefer that.  However, if we could get
> skribilo to create the default context-book.tex the user would have the
> option to use it as-is, and get a compileable context document without
> further effort, or to copy it to a different name and tweak the context
> settings.  Running skribilo wth the user-style option would then provide
> a customised version of their context document.

OK.

>> I just pointed at the example that’s in the manual:
>>
>>   http://www.nongnu.org/skribilo/doc/user-3.html#outline-syntax
>>
>> Does it help?
>
> What is the command line I would use to make the conversion?
> I did not see a skribilo _writer_ in the distribution.

Right, there’s no engine that produces Scheme code, so this cannot be
done directly from the command line.

At the Guile REPL though, the outline → Scheme conversion goes like
this:

$ guile
[…]
scheme@(guile-user)> ,use (skribilo reader)
scheme@(guile-user)> (define read-outline (make-reader 'outline))
scheme@(guile-user)> (call-with-input-string "* Section\n\n**
Subsection\n\nbody!"
                       read-outline)
$2 = (document #:title #f #:author (author #:name #f) #:keywords (quote ())
(chapter #:title "Section" (section #:title "Subsection" (p (list "body!"
"\n")))))

HTH!

Ludo’.