sketch-devel

Re: New Skencil website

From: Joonas Paalasmaa
Subject: Re: New Skencil website
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:13:40 +0200 (EET)

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> This is what we do to get the pages on www.skencil.org:
>
>       Until savannah can accept that we point our DNS entry to them,
>       we will host a copy of the pages here at Intevation.
>         Copying will be done by a web proxy, so all we need to do is:
>
>       a) Put the page sources and your scripts in a new CVS module
>          "skencil-web" on skencil source CVS on savannah.
>            That is important, so that authorized project members
>          can change them.
>
>       b) Make the pages appear on Savannah.
>          Needs research, probably they would appear on
>          www.nongnu.org/skencil
>          and it will mean to upload the produced pages somewhere.
>          (Each time a person creates new pages.)

Do you know if Savannah supports this at the moment?

>       c) Initialise the copy process
>          and enable     www.skencil.org
>
> Can you do a) and b) and trigger us (over the list) for c)?

I have sone dome corrections and finetuning for the pages. Here are some
sections that require slightly more sophisticated systems than just
plain html files:

FAQ:
  I couldn't get faqdom.py in tools directory working. The following error
  message was printed with Python2.2. I printed the type of domfaqlist just
  before the error and it was xml.dom.minidom.DocumentType. Perhaps we
  should migrate to something like makefaq.py that generates html files
  from XML faq sources, because porting fagdom.py from SGML to XHTML may
  be quite difficult.

  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./faqdom.py", line 251, in ?
      main()
    File "./faqdom.py", line 241, in main
      faqlist, label_dict, title = extract(doc.childNodes[0])
    File "./faqdom.py", line 131, in extract
      faq_title = domfaqlist.getElementsByTagName('title')[0]
  AttributeError: DocumentType instance has no attribute
'getElementsByTagName'

Release Notes:
  NEWS and DEVNEWS seem to be in a format that Docutils text processor
  package understands. There is rst2html.py script in Docutils distribution
  that can create html pages from NEWS and DEVNEWS.

> Got a few comments on the pages:
>       Though the background was probably done with gimp,
>       I guess we should remove the "Graphics made by gimp" button.
>       For two reasons: It adds to the download size.
>       And major part of the graphics, the hand, was done with Skencil.
>       People would expect us to use Skencil. :)

I completely agree on not endorsing GIMP in that way. Maybe we should have a
"Drawn in Skencil" logo instead.

Bernhard Herzog wrote:
> skencil-web already exists and is used for the old site.  It was renamed
> by the savannah folks when the project was renamed.  Better use
> something else.  How about skencil-org?

Perhaps directory name "skencil.org" would be the best choice?