sketch-devel

Re: Preliminary cut/copy/paste

From: Ralf Engels
Subject: Re: Preliminary cut/copy/paste
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 12:28:18 +0100

Hi
first the "select" problem:
draw two rectangles
select both and group them (now this new group is selected)
press control and try to select one rectangle only.

The problem is that the selection is removed if you try to select one object a
second time, even if you want to select a child of it.

Am Samstag, 28. Dezember 2002 21:56 schrieb Bernhard Herzog:
> Ralf Engels <address@hidden> writes:
> > Hi,
> > this is the first shot at cut/copy/paste for the developer  version.
> > One Problem I noticed: You copy a list of objects but neighter the
> > clipboard nor other functions are able to handle list of objects
> > gracefully.
>
> The clipboard only supports one object. In Sketch 0.6 you can copy
> multiple objects because they're put into a group first.

Right,
I noticed that and it is anoying (from a user point of view).
Maybe there is a better way (perhaps automatic ungroup again when pasting it)

> > Anyway, here is the patch.
>
> Thanks. The changes are in the right place, but they don't work properly
> yet. Objects placed into the clipboard have to be separated from the
> document object properly. At the very least they should be copies of the
> obejcts actually in the document. Otherwise modifying a copied object
> modifies the object in the clipboard too.

You are right. I haven't thought about that.
Should I make a patch to solve this?

> What emacs has, though, is the "kill ring" and something similar would
> perhaps be useful in Sketch too. The kill ring is basically a list of
> text fragments that have been cut or copied from a text. The clipboard
> as used in Sketch is only the most recent item in that list and there
> are commands to paste an older item or to add newly copied/cut text to
> the clip-board/most recent kill ring item.
>
> In Sketch this sort of thing might be useful as well, together with a
> new dialog that show the contents of the "kill ring"/clipboard so that
> the user can easily select a particular one.

I never used the kill ring.
Ok, what the heck... I think there are more important things.

I am currently trying to get the layers dialog back in and puzzle a little bit
with close-nodes.

Happy holiday,
Ralf

--