sed-devel

Re: sed-4.8.39-23ea on *BSD

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: sed-4.8.39-23ea on *BSD
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 20:03:55 -0700

On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 6:21 PM Bruno Haible <bruno@clisp.org> wrote:

> On FreeBSD 11, NetBSD 9, OpenBSD 7.0, sed-4.8.39-23ea fails to build, due
> to problems with help2man.
>
> Find attached the logs of each platform.
>
> On the FreeBSD machine, I'm using 'make', and perl exists in $PATH, as
> /usr/local/bin/perl.
>
> On the NetBSD machine, I'm using 'make', and perl exists in $PATH, as
> /usr/pkg/bin/perl.
>
> On the OpenBSD machine, I'm using 'gmake', and perl exists in $PATH, as
> /usr/bin/perl.
>
> Without being able to build, I cannot run the valgrind-enabled tests.

Interesting. Thanks for the report.
The NetBSD and FreeBSD logs show it failing like this:

  CCLD     sed/sed
  GEN      ../doc/sed.1
/bin/sh: ../build-aux/help2man: not found

Obviously, sed's build process just needs to invoke help2man properly,
e.g., as coreutils does. I'm preparing a fix for that, including a
help2man update.

For OpenBSD, the log shows this:

  AR       sed/libver.a
  CCLD     sed/sed
  GEN      doc/sed.1
help2man: can't get `--help' info from sed/sed
Try `--no-discard-stderr' if option outputs to stderr
gmake[2]: *** [Makefile:7537: doc/sed.1] Error 137

I don't see the problem there yet.