screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #53173] Out of bounds heap memory read in MClearArea

From: Stefan Ring
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #53173] Out of bounds heap memory read in MClearArea()
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:39:23 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #4, bug#53173 (group screen):

Renewed summary: The reported memory errors are not just a nuisance without
further impact, but cause very easily reproducible crashes. I’ve been
running patched versions for months now, and I do consider them a significant
improvement. The only strange thing I notice is that line-breaking seems to be
non-deterministic somehow. I don't think this is a consequence of this patch.
Rather it only surfaces now that the crash that would have occurred without
it, is gone. See
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/132K0BOvsD9di8wHMMPVyY0g0W822XRsm/view?usp=drive_link>.
I cannot find a good justification for some of the lines being considered
actual lines, while others seem to be treated as strings of equal length to
window width at the time of creation. All of the lines in this screen capture
originate from this shell command used to prevent my PVR hard disk from
spinning down:

while sleep 240; do date && touch xx; done

The original patch is attached to this bug report here, and the rebased
versions are obtainable from the PPA/copr repos linked from my previous
comment.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53173>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/