screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #25089] screen produces zombies

From: Vincent Lefèvre
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #25089] screen produces zombies
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 09:56:02 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #14, bug #25089 (project screen):

I think that the patches are wrong (they may just make the issue less likely
to occur, without solving the real bug).

I've analyzed the problem in my Debian bug report
and I've found a clash between GNU Screen and libutempter (used in utmp.c):
libutempter needs to execute some helper, and temporarily resets the SIGCHLD
handler to the default action. If the signal from the terminated shell process
arrives at this time, the handler set up by GNU Screen will not be called.

Unfortunately I could not confirm with strace as the issue is not reproducible
with it (probably due to the delay caused by strace). Still, strace
information suggests that this is the cause of the problem. You can find more
details in my Debian bug report.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?25089>

  Message posté via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/