Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] cgit syntax highlight request

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] cgit syntax highlight request
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 12:26:43 -0500

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 4:45 PM Ian Kelling <iank@fsf.org> wrote:

> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:
>
> > [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> > Savannah Users,
> >
> > A user on IRC (daviid) has requested that cgit on Savannah be modified
> > to perform syntax highlighting by default on the various source page
> > display pages.
> >
> > I did some research into this topic of cgit syntax highlighting.  It

Thanks for looking into it.

> > seems there are two popular ways to enable syntax highlighting in
> > cgit.  One uses the Python "Pygments" and one uses the standalone
> > "highlight" utility.
> >
> > On IRC there were various comments about pygments and previous
> > security vulnerabilities it has been through.  The other option using
> > "highlight" I note is packaged for Debian and therefore if any
> > security vulnerabilities were found that the security channel would
> > normally provide a patch which would be quickly installed on our
> > systems.  Therefore in my opinion using "highlight" would be the best
> > option.
>
> I agree. I actually got a patch into git for it's gitweb interface so
> that it uses highlight as it's syntax highlighter. I think it used
> pygments before, I can't remember for sure. Anyways, I did it because
> highlight detected bash scripts and highlighted them, whereas the
> previous highlighter did not.

I also agree.

> > I tried it with both dark and light themes and it seems acceptable in
> > either.  Which is important to me personally as I almost always use a
> > dark theme when possible.
> >
> > Personally I rather prefer the non-colorized display.  Colors are one
> > of those bike-shed items that everyone wants to be different.
> > Therefore the common ground is often the no-color option.  I much
> > prefer if people clone to their own sandbox and then they can use
> > their own preferences for all bike-shed things like colors and fonts.
> > But this is a shared resource and everyone is using it as a commons
> > area.  I will bring the topic up for discussion.
> >
> > What is the opinion of the group at this time?  Should we enable
> > syntax color highlight in cgit by default?
>
> I'd prefer colorized output, but, first you should check the resource
> use. When I made the git change, I found that highlight and pygments (i
> think) had roughly equivalent performance, but I was surprised how much
> cpu time they took up. So, I suggest check the page load time difference
> for a few files: the extra time will be 100% cpu use of a forked
> process.

+1 for all of this.  Especially, I also like colors and will pay CPU
loads some attention, if we start giving them.

> > Should we leave color as
> > it is now without?  Should we try it for a time period and see how it
> > is received?  What would the users like to see here?

My preference is to enable this on an experimental basis, watching it
closely when we turn it on and, perhaps, taking discussing further
analysis and thoughts regularly, such as as a standing point at the
volunteer meeting for a few occurrences (ie, until terminated or
deemed stable).