[sr #110873] would like option to keep cgit from offering .tar.gz files

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: [sr #110873] would like option to keep cgit from offering .tar.gz files
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 02:27:17 -0400 (EDT)

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
        Operating System: GNU/Linux
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Tue 25 Apr 2023 06:27:15 AM UTC By: G. Branden Robinson <gbranden>
The groff project has recurring problems with people trying to use the .tar.gz
files that cgit so obligingly generates links to all over the place.

This would be fine, but (1) groff uses the "git submodule" feature to
incorporate gnulib and (2) there are many files in a distribution archive that
are not present in the repository.

Our users keep getting into trouble, thinking (reasonably) that they can
follow one of the two sets of instructions we have for building groff
(INSTALL.repo or INSTALL.extra), but because of the submodule issue, neither
actually works for these cgit-generated archives.

It would be nice to have a per-project configuration knob that we could use to
keep cgit from advertising these archives.

Examples of trouble:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2023-04/msg00301.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2022-07/msg00064.html

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110873>