reproduce-devel

[bug #61337] Modularity/dependence of basic software packages

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [bug #61337] Modularity/dependence of basic software packages
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 19:50:42 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

This is a spinoff from https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?61026 . I
think that this should probably be a perennial bug, unless we find a
systematic way of solving it. It seems to me that we have always had this
problem generically.

The problem is that if one of the 'basic.mk' software packages is removed, and
'./project configure --existing-conf' is run, quite often the build will fail
because the 'make' rules in 'basic.mk' do not completely reflect the true
dependences in our bootstrapping procedure. So the user either has to guess
what other packages to remove, or has to do a completely fresh install
(download/configure/compile/install = 'configure').

Tracing these bugs would probably require keeping the buggy installs frozen,
and debugging them could be quite heavy.

61026 has one example:

(1) removing coreutils and doing './project configure --existing-conf' with
coreutils-9.0 led to a 'libbsd' compile error, with some error lines listed at
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?61026 (Mon 04 Oct 2021 10:34:32 PM
UTC, comment #7).

There is an associated error (that looks familiar) with _mpfr_:

make[3]: Entering directory '/BUILD/software/build-tmp/mpfr-4.0.2/tests'
make[4]: Entering directory '/BUILD/software/build-tmp/mpfr-4.0.2/tests'
FAIL: tversion
PASS: tabort_prec_max
PASS: tassert
PASS: tabort_defalloc1