repo-criteria-discuss

Re: Remove flags from language picker

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Remove flags from language picker
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 03:24:51 -0400

  > Flags represent nations, not languages. This is the wrong symbol and to
  > many it is a symbol of colonialism, a reminder of being a part of a
  > minority community, and government propoganda of a unified state.

Those ultimate conclusions represent a political stance that the GNU
Project should not endorse, but I agree that there are problems in
identifying each language with a country.  It is hard to find a good
choice of country for Swahili, or Arabic, or Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian.
A different kind of problem arises for regional languages such as
Flemish and Wallon, Breton and Provençal, Basque, Galician and
Catalan, and Cantonese and Shanghainese.

So I would be glad to replace flags for that.  Concretely, what
would we use instead?

What exact URL can I find "the language picker" at?