Re: rdiff-backup and computer suspend

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: rdiff-backup and computer suspend
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:48:02 -0400

Eric Beversluis <ebever@researchintegration.org> writes:

> So my question concerns how suspend work on Ubuntu. I assume that the
> computer doesn't suspend if a process like rdiff-backup is
> running. Maybe that's wrong. But I've always thought the computer
> wouldn't suspend as long as there was activity. And if the computer
> does suspend, does that mean that the rdiff-backup process also
> suspends?

Sometimes there are APIs to block sleeping, but mostly usually -- take
this with a kg of salt not just a fr -- it's about detecting user
activity, keyboard/mouse only.

If the computer overall sleeps, yes everything stops.

> Is there a way to have the computer only suspend once the backup
> process completes?

Maybe but this is an Ubuntu question really.  Probably there is a
program to ask for non-suspend and you'd write a wrapper script.