rdiff-backup and computer suspend

From: Eric Beversluis
Subject: rdiff-backup and computer suspend
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:37:45 -0400

When I get up in the morning my rdiff-backup process hasn't finished. I can't figure out if it's taking all night (it's a pretty big backup, since it includes the Windows VM) or if, for some reason, it's hanging up during the night.

So my question concerns how suspend work on Ubuntu. I assume that the computer doesn't suspend if a process like rdiff-backup is running. Maybe that's wrong. But I've always thought the computer wouldn't suspend as long as there was activity. And if the computer does suspend, does that mean that the rdiff-backup process also suspends?

Is there a way to have the computer only suspend once the backup process completes?

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS 64-bit on Dell XPS (Dell Ubuntu image)

Thanks.

--
Eric Beversluis www.ericbeversluis.com