ranger-users

[Ranger-users] Ranger is going Windows ONLY!

From: toonn
Subject: [Ranger-users] Ranger is going Windows ONLY!
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 17:06:39 +0200

Hey there, Ranger users,

We have an important announcement so bear with us for the incoming wall of text.

Of late (and let's be honest, not so late as well) the Ranger team has had
a severe lack of time to dedicate to Ranger. The main problem is the hundreds
of issue reports and the dozens of pull requests fixing some of those issues
but also implementing fancy new features.

We've been thinking long and hard about how to address this avalanche of
impositions on our free time. And we're proud to announce we think we have a
solution!! About 94% of reported issues come from Linux users and another
5-6% come from users on macOS. So the answer is really staring us in the
face, plain and simple.

Going forward we are **dropping** support for both Linux and macOS ‼️
 🚀💯🎉👏🚀🍾
The *only* supported operating system for Ranger will be Microsoft Windows.
Over the coming days we'll be closing issues and PRs with extreme prejudice.
If it's not related to Windows support, it's out. We believe this will
benefit both us and our users immensely both in the short and the long term.
The year of Linux on the desktop is never gonna come anyway and Apple tax is
too steep. Really it's just the socially responsible thing to do.

We want to extend our thanks to everyone who's contributed, both through
reporting issues and through patches, but, we also want to include fair
warning that we will actively prevent efforts to keep Ranger running on other
platforms.

Sincerely, the Ranger team.