qemu-s390x

Re: graphical interface

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: graphical interface
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 13:56:28 +0100

On 09/12/2022 21.08, Harold Grovesteen wrote:
I see qemu is capable of a graphical interface: -display gtk.  I am
running Qemu on an Intel based Linux distro.

It does not seem to do anything different (certainly no graphical
display) if I specify -display gtk.

With -display gtk, you should get a window with a menu. Click on "View" then you can select "serial0" for the guest's console output and "compatmonitor0" for the HMP monitor interface.

If you want to have a real GUI in the guest, you have to configure a graphics card and input devices, i.e. "-device virtio-gpu-ccw -device virtio-mouse-ccw -device virtio-keyboard-ccw" ... and your guest OS has to support those, too. But please note that this is not very common on s390x, you normally rather interact with the guest via the text console or ssh.

 Thomas